Friday, January 20, 2012

Abandoned, alley headboard is given a makeover!

I was driving down my alley to park my car when I stopped dead in my tracks.  I had been wanting an upholstered headboard for our guest room for a while, but with all the construction going on in our house, I felt bad even bringing it up to my husband.  (I would need him to build the frame because I am not that handy.)

Anyway, so I came across an abandoned headboard on the side the road!  And it was pretty cute and curvy.  Granted the vinyl it was covered in was not so cute, and the buttons in the tufting were hanging out and loose, but I knew I could fix it.

So I bought a green velvet drape that was on clearance from West Elm.  I got out my handy dandy spray adhesive, my staple gun, and some extra foam I had from the headboard we made for our master bedroom.

I sprayed the adhesive onto the existing vinyl, pulled it taut over the upholstered part of the headboard, and stapled it onto the back of the headboard, thereby creating a smooth new canvas over which to lay new fabric.  Sorry, but this tutorial will not be recreating the tufting!  I was tight on time and patience :)

Anyhoo, then I grabbed the velvet drape, steamed the heck out it, cut the grommet strip off, pulled it taut over the headboard and new foam, and stapled it to the back of the headboard to secure it.



And there is the headboard almost finished.  It IS finished now.  Believe it or not, this project took me 1 hour.  It was super simple.  I did it all by my lonesome.  My husband was busy with other stuff around the house.  So my point is that if you see an old headboard abandoned on the side of the road, find a way to fit it in your car and take it home with you.  Reupholstering it is sooo easy.  You may not even have to go to the fabric store!

Also, I have some big news that you may or may not have heard on facebook.  Stay tuned for photos of the finished headboard in the guest room and a follow up on that big news!  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment