Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I helped someone with their living room

Lately, I've been getting requests here and there for help with decorating. So much so that recently, when Little Green Notebook posted a "Decorator Yellow Pages," I responded stating that I would be happy to help three people for free.

I mean truly, I enjoy designing rooms from the ground up.

I can't tell you how many times I have been moving through a store (especially antique stores), seen an item that really catches my attention, and gotten distracted for the remainder of the day dreaming up a room around that one item. Yes, it is true that I am easily distracted, but that's not the point people. I have a mild obsession with decor. I can happily put together and dissect rooms all day, every day.

So back to the point of this post.

Below is the design I came up with for one of the people that contacted me. The room is long and is a combination dining/living area that you walk into straight away once to walk through the front door.

As you walk in you will be able to drop your keys on the console table. We picked the Pier 1 Dexter Console which is a good value at $150. We added some lighting on that table. I really like the JCPenney glass lamp we settled on. JCPenney has a surprisingly good assortment of lamps at a good prices.
I also wanted to add some natural objects to the room, and I found a photographer on etsy that had some beautiful black and white photos of Arizona, where this family lives.

The sofa is the Chloe sofa from Macy's. We went through a couple of different options, but my client found this sofa on CL at a huge discount and the dimensions were perfect. I really like the tufting. The throw is from World Market, and the pillows are from Etsy and West Elm.

Those particular wingback chairs are from Ballard Designs, but alternatively, you can CL these and have them slipcovered for even less. The white linen lumbar pillow is, believe it or not, from Ikea.

The accent table between the wingbacks is from overstock, and the gold rim adds just the right touch of bling.

The end tables are from Pottery Barn, although Walmart has very similar tables for a fraction of the cost.

The chandeliers are also from JCPenney and are $75 each.

The sunburst mirror pictured is from Wisteria. I originally wanted to use one Pier 1 had, but unfortunately it is now out of stock. We are on the hunt for a less expensive and still sizeable version.

The crackled cream lamps are from Tarjay.

The coffee table is from Home Decorators although I think Urban Outfitters sells it as well.

In front of the coffee table and opposite the sofa I suggested two easily moveable x-benches. X-benches can be super pricey. The style I suggested is pictured with tiger print upholstery (RAWR!). While I don't love the upholstery, these ottomans are a steal at about 50 bones, and creating a slipcover for them or reupholstering them altogether couldn't be more simple. I got this idea from Caitlin Creer. I suggested she use the Bangal fabric from L&S Fabrics. I love zebra print, especially in these subdued tones.

Opposite the wing chairs, I suggested a chaise or daybed. I wanted the room to be balanced and have plenty of seating, without blocking off the dining room. In other words, I wanted anyone who was sitting at the dining room table to feel as though they could easily have a conversation with those in the living room.

We could have easily put a sofa rather than a daybed there, but then the back of the sofa would have been facing the dining room and would have closed off the living room to some degree.

That aside, buying two sofas can sometimes blow a budget. With that in mind, I think the daybed was a good alternative for additional seating and provides a nice transition between the two rooms.

The cream throw next to the daybed is from Ikea.

In the dining room, we used the same chandelier as in the living room to unify the two spaces. We opted for slipcovered parson chairs and a black pedestal table, which again, could be Craigslisted and painted black. The cream bombe chest is from Grandin Road.

As for additional art, I only included one botanical print from each free set that I suggested could be printed at Kinkos and framed. The black and white set is by Karl Blossfeldt. If you do a google images search, tons of websites offer the jpgs for free home printing or kinkos printing. The colorful botanicals with black backdrops you can download for free from the British Museum's website. I had long been a fan of these beautiful botanicals with black backgrounds when I saw Jenny over at LGN feature these last year from the British Museum. They are beautiful, and a great way to save some money if you have your heart set on botanicals like these.

My client also wanted to incorporate some Spanish style dishes, and I found the green and white ones you see below on Wisteria's website. I had found other options on ebay and etsy, but these green and white ones are quite lovely, and subtle, and inexpensive!


The rugs are faux sisal from Home Decorators.

For window treatments we decided to use the bleached Aina panels from ikea, which I myself have in my master. They are a really nice linen. I suggested she hang them with ring clips for a more finished look. You can find the rod and clips at Target.

I think that covers all the big ticket items. Once the family starts collecting all the necessaries, we will work on more accessories. Stay tuned!


yet another one!

Avalon 45" Black Extension Dining Table
$499 - crateandbarrel.com

ikea AINA
$50 - ikea.com

Ikea Ektorp
$20 - ikea.com

FELICIA
$9.99 - ikea.com

1 comment:

  1. Love it Ayleen! It makes me even more excited to see what you come up with for my living room!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete