Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Moody

I would like to think I am not a moody person. Except early in the morning. Which in my mind doesn't count. And typically I like interiors that are light and airy.
But I do love moody art. Portraits, landscapes, still lifes... The contrast of a moody work of art against a light and airy backdrop can be so striking, emotive, and just lovely.

Erika Powel of Urban Grace via TRAD Home.

The abstract in this picture is absolutely beautiful. It's mysterious yet calming.



While traditional in style, this dining room is kept bright with the addition of a light colored rug, slipcovered armchairs, a white/ivory chandelier, creamy walls and moulding, and a lighter wood buffet. Against this neutral backdrop, the contrasting serious tone of the portrait really allows it to pop.
Lauren Liess, Pure Style Home


Again, neutral backdrop with moody, vintage art.


This is one of my long time favorite inspiration pictures. Neutral backdrop, very dark stained floors, amazing moody art to include a landscape, a portrait and a still life.


So with all that said, I was ecstatic to see Dutch Touch oil paintings on One Kings Lane this morning! (I know I am late to the party. I always mean to check OKL every day, but I often don't have time! So I check every couple of days. And here we are, nearing the end of Dutch Touch...sigh.)

Anyhow, designer, Nathan Turner, has curated a collection of Dutch Touch oil paintings featuring landscapes and flora from his native state of California. My favorite are the blue/gray, foggy, stormy, or rough seascapes from the California coast.


On the Dutch Touch Art website, they also have some gorgeous still lifes.





They remind me very much of Juan Sanchez Cotan's still lifes, which I have always loved.



You can find reasonably priced prints of Cotan's work on Allposters.com. Frame in a thin gold frame to achieve a similar look. Or, alternatively, ebay has many beautiful antique portraits!

1 comment:

  1. Just saw this Ayleen. Thank you for the support! Nathan's beach collection is appearing in his window at Bloomingdales in New York this month. He's blogging live from there today! Cheers,
    Shawn

    ReplyDelete