Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I have been thinking a lot about decorating around the tv....

There are many options for what to do with a tv set to make it NOT be the focal point. And I suppose things have gotten easier since they are more sleek now-a-days and take up less space than those hideous tube tvs did. But still, I hate how it looks in my living room.


I know some of you are thinking, gawd, why don't you just NOT have a tv, or why don't you just NOT have a tv in your living room.



I am keepin' it real guys...I don't have a separate family room, and we like to watch tv.



Until we renovate the basement to make it our family room/tv room, we need to put our tv somewhere. The living room makes the most sense. The problem is that it's not a large living room and it's a passthrough type of room into the sunroom and in the dining room.


So, there aren't too many actual walls where we could place the tv.



When you walk into our house, there's a tiny foyer, and then you walk straight into the living room. From the front door, the first thing you see is the sofa as of right now. Where the sofa is right now, there used to be fireplace, which the PO removed, with two stained glass windows flanking the then fireplace, now sofa.



When we first moved in, we had the tv hung on the wall between the stained glass windows. But we changed it to the wall across the way because we didn't like how the tv was the first thing you saw when you walked through the door. Afterall, while it's the tv room for now, I didn't want the living room to exude "tv room" when you first walk into our home.



So now, it's on the opposite wall across where the sofa is, but frankly, I don't like it there either.



I realize that I am not going to be happy until it's out of the living room, so for now, I will just deal with decorating around it. Ok...



So here's what we are dealing with:






Sorry for the tangent, but, we had to get rid of our Jute/Chenille area rug from PB. I felt like I was living in one of those western movies with all the tumble weeds flying through my house. I was vacuuming it a good number of times a week, but still it was shedding like crazy! So, I am on the hunt for a stain resistant, soft, not sheddy alternative.



Anyway, so here's the Copenhagen Sideboard from Viva Terra and our monstrous-for-this-room tv. I put some accessories I had lying around the house on the console table, but I am not ecstatic with the outcome, so I am working on other accessories. But what about all that space around the tv.

I've seen a lot of designers try to make the tv disappear by installing a salon wall around the tv, trying to make the tv part of the salon wall. I am not sure I have the patience to create one though. I also don't want to make our tiny living room look cluttery, which I think might happen if I did this. I think this works better in a larger space, but if we have to push back the basement renovations, I may buy some of these to mitigate the damage I may be causing to my 100 year old plaster walls.



Here are some images of tvs "hiding" in salon walls.








I like the first and third ones best. If the basement remodel needs to be pushed back, I may consider one of these salon walls afterall.

Of course, the ideal situation is to have custom built-ins where you can close it up and hide the tv. However, I don't think that would fly in our house because 1. my husband would kill me considering I HAD TO HAVE this console for under the tv, which I now want to move into the playroom...shhhh (I love you honey!), but also because, it doesn't make sense to spend money on built-ins for a tv we are going to move to the basement soon enough.



I am thinking we will leave the built in unit for the basement. The irony of it all...hiding the tv in the basement, but not the living room.

So with all this said, I think for now I will stick to my original plan of simply decorating the console table. I really like how these media consoles were styled. I also like how the tv wall in this first picture was wallpapered. This is another way to "decorate around your tv," but honestly, I am sort of afraid of wallpaper. I am so finicky, that I want to change the paint colors in my house nearly every day. Wallpaper is a commitment. I have design commitment issues.




This is my favorite image. I think the black lampshade makes the tv stand out less by introducing a second black surface on that wall. I like how there are some larger picture frames leaning on the wall below the tv, some longer slim items like a vase, and then some low lying items like a tray with a box on it, a bowl, etc.



It also doesn't hurt though that these fellas have a baby grand to detract from the tv. :P

By the way, most of these images are from decorpad. This last one is from Elegant Abode.

1 comment:

  1. thank you for posting this article....great job! I'm gonna try to make my tv wall just as beautiful as these.

    ReplyDelete