Thursday, May 26, 2011

Mother-in-law's tongue

Look, a black thumb is an understatement.

My father in law gave me a plant that's called "mother-in-law's tongue." It's been in his family for like 100 years or something. It's special. Obviamente. Well, the first thing he said when he gave it to me was that there was no way to kill it as evidenced by the fact that it's been around for 100 years.

He told me just to water it when I remember.

It was my first house plant. I was so excited! I put it in our terrazzo foyer, and braced myself.

I watered it when I remembered.

Here's the punch line. I froze it.

How do you ask? Because I am Ayleen Wolfe, and I have a black thumb.

I didn't realize that the terrazzo foyer was a cryogenics vault...for humans...not plants...plants don't need help staying young.

In an effort to defrost her, I put her in my backyard, full on sunshine, just enough water, and nada. My father-in-law took her away to the ICU (his dining room), and she is back with a vengeance. She's a beaut.

The point of the story is that I am horrible with plants!!! HORRIBLE.

So landscaping is the one project that I have been terrified of.

A couple of months ago Handy Husband built a retaining wall. Here's a picture of it just down below.


cute huh? Then, that rocky mess stayed there for months. Partly because I was scared to do anything with it, partly because this is Chicago and spring doesn't spring till almost summer. BUMMER


I researched so much in an effort to figure out what plants are hardy and pretty. We settled on hydrangeas and hostas. The hydrangeas we bought could be pink or blue depending on the acidity of the soil. I am pretty sure they will be pink. If we wanted them to be blue apparently you can add aluminum sulfate to the soil around the hydrangeas to make them blue.


In any event, here is the landscaping!! Doesn't it look much better already? We are very happy with the way it turned out. :)




1 comment:

  1. beautiful -- I love it -- haven't had a chance to see it in the light yet. Looks great. My fav is "handy husband"

    ReplyDelete