Friday, February 18, 2011

Ebaying art

As I've mentioned, now that we have completed most of the major renovations that this house required, I am in the process of filling up the space, little by little, with things that I love.

I am taking my time. I want to make sure that I really trully love each and every knick knack, piece of art, frame, etc. that I buy. And that's tough.

I've lately become a serial returner because I see something, think it would look perfect in x room, put it there, only realize it looks totally off and wrong, and that I don't actually love it as much as I thought I would. It's a lot of trial and error.

I could go to a big box store and I say "I want to buy that room," but then my house would look like a catalog, not a home where actual people live.

I want the things in our house to have history and/or meaning, to reflect the things and places that we connect with, that make us "us." This is not to say that I don't enjoy going to Pottery Barn, Home Goods, etc. and scoring an adorable frame, bowl, mirror, candle holder, etc. But I try to make sure that not everything I buy is mass produced.

One of the toughest parts of putting together our "home" has been art! I keep finding all these amazing paintings, but alas, I have thigns I have to pay for like school for our kiddos, the mortgage, you know, all that day to day adult stuff. So the ugly B word comes into the picture....BUDGET! ARRGH...

However, said B word has forced me to get creative, so I went to Etsy, and as I shared a couple of weeks ago, there is some beautiful and affordable art on there.

I next turned to ebay, and I didn't come up empty handed! All of the paintings and prints below are under $50. Some of them are even framed. Framing alone would cost a ton even with the handy 40% coupon Michaels provides.

My favorite search on Ebay is "Pre-1800, 1800-1899, 1900-1949, 1950-1969"

There are also some specific ebayers I target like Cornell Gallery and Artsick.















Hope you have fun searching for something new to hang on your walls. Have a fun weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment