Thursday, January 13, 2011

Deets on our DIY kitchen...

I received a couple of emails yesterday asking for some details about the kitchen, so here goes...
This is a closeup of the wood windows and wood casing, trim, etc. The windows are JeldWens. We were on a tight budget, but really wanted wood windows. Pella and Anderson has some gorg stuff, but after a lot of footwork, we found the specs on these to be better than a lot of the Pella and Anderson windows out there (esp the ones they sell at the big box stores), and I think these are just as attractive! I love that you can take the glass part out to clean the outside! That means no more having to go all around the exterior of your house with a ladder washing windows. Please ignore that even with this "make-it-easy-to-wash-your-windows" mechanism, I have yet to do so. My windows are filthy, but in my defense we've had bigger fish to fry in this house!
The light fixture, I believe, is Hudson Valley Lighting.
The breakfast area used to be a back porch that was enclosed by the previous owners. If you look at the befores, you will see that the ceiling in the whole kitchen was a dropped ceiling. It was even lower in that breakfast area. My husband and my father-in-law, who did this kitchen remodel, took out the ceiling and voila! Look what we found! A pitched ceiling! I had them put beadboarding on it, and I think it makes the kitchen look so much bigger.
The light fixture in the breakfast area is from Rejuvenation.
I love plumbing fixtures. I really, really do. I was dead set on a bridge faucet. This one is Kohler, not sure the model. I froogled the glass knobs. I think they are from D Lawless Hardware? The stainless steel apron front sink is also Kohler. The backspash is carrara marble 2x8 subway tile from the Tile Shop with Absolute Black granite for a countertop. My husband made all the tile cuts, but I tiled the backsplash! Grout and all!
Do you see that little chrome button? That little thing is one of my favorite things in this kitchen. That's called an air switch. That's where I turn my garbage disposal on and off.
This box hides all our mail, bills, etc. I had been looking for something to hide the clutter, and saw the boxes below in the Serena & Lily catalog. They are the Kuta tin boxes and are $58 for 5 boxes, which is not too bad, I think. However, I didn't need FIVE, just one. Lo and behold, I am cruising through Home Goods a couple of days later, and I saw the one above for $10, and ka-ching! No more clutter. Serena & Lily, Kuta tin boxes, set of 5, $58
Right now I am trying to come up with window treatments. I have been looking at fabric for months, if not years. Any suggestions? I was thinking something with an ikat pattern in white and pale blues.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job. Where did you get your sink?

    I love etsy for fabric. There are some great shops there and there is a lot of variety.

    http://www.sewmamasew.com is another favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's also a Kohler. We got it online. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete